Sunday, February 3, 2008

Another Magnolia?

While the New York Cupcake War has been going on for over a decade now, I have been loyal to one... Magnolia Bakery. Most New Yorkers have their favorite, or they claim to have a favorite and yet cannot remember the name of the place that their "perfect cupcake" came from. Katie Holmes claims that "Billy's Cupcakes" are the best in the world--- she even flys in Billy's to feed the cast and crew of her movies. While I respect the dedication, and must admit that I have never been to Billy's, my loyalty is with Magnolia. Located on Bleeker and 11th Street in the West Village, you can usually find the bakery by looking for the mass of people standing in a line that wraps around the corner and down 11th. The bakery is very small and looks like a vintage kitchen from the 1950's. There is a limit on the number of cupcakes you can buy and there is a very serious system of getting your cupcakes, paying, and getting out. If you need assistance, the bouncer that works the door (yes I said bouncer) will help you. The cupcakes have a more shortbread taste to them, not your usual sugary taste. And the icing depends on my mood--- while the traditional vanilla buttercream was my original favorite. They introduced chocolate buttercream over a year ago and I think it might be the winner! Anyways---- they also have out of this world key lime cheesecake and their banana pudding is their second best seller behind the cupcakes. OK, so the purpose of this entry is to inform you of the latest Magnolia movement... they are now a chain. hmmmmm. Their second location is on Columbus and 69th Street on the Upper West Side. They did a good job making it look like its original, but it lacks the "personality." My vanilla cupcake with chocolate buttercream was served warm which was nice, but they did run out of vanilla on vanilla which was quite disappointing. More pros: there is no cupcake limit, it is a lot closer to my apartment, it is one block away from the amc theater--- i am seeing a dinner of combo #1 and a cupcake (or two). I present the you the new Magnolia Bakery...


No comments: